Voice Official Response 1077: Statutory Guidance: Regulated Activity (children) - supervision of activity with children which is regulated activity when unsupervised
Voice Official Response 1077:
Thank you for putting, for consultation, the proposed statutory guidance on supervision. We are pleased to have the opportunity to respond.
This is clearly intended as straightforward and concise guidance and we welcome this approach. The following comments are, we trust, consistent with these objectives.
- Nowhere does the guidance state directly the basic premise that an individual working or in contact with children will be in Regulated Activity if they are unsupervised and they are not in a Regulated Activity if they are supervised to the statutory level. Perhaps this could be inserted at the beginning of paragraph 1.
- If the bullet points in paragraph 6 are in order of priority we would place “the vulnerability of the children” higher on the list.
- The three examples are helpful. Only one relates to an education setting. We suggest a further example(s) for school visits covering, in particular:
- parent volunteers;
- adults outside the school community; for example, coach drivers engaged for a residential visit. Our understanding is that this is a Regulated Activity if the driving is arranged through the school.
- Finally, we do welcome statements in paragraph 3, albeit they are not strictly required in this guidance.
We hope these comments are of assistance.
DfE: Statutory Guidance: Regulated Activity (children) – supervision of activity with children which is regulated activity when unsupervised
Draft guidance (pdf)
Full information (pdf)
Solicitor David Brierley