To help members stay informed about the outbreak, we have created this area as a central resource of all Voice updates and information. We will work hard to keep this content up to date, but please do be patient as we too are working with restricted access and staffing which may result in slower response times that you might hope for.
3 August 2020
The government is right to exercise caution to prevent further rise of infection rates.
The whole education workforce knows it is essential that all children and young people are able to fully resume their education. Voice supports the ambition for all pupils to return to school in September and will support our members with this. However, further lockdowns or restrictions at local or national level are to be expected in the coming months therefore it is essential that Government have a Plan B for schools. Schools need to know from the Government before September what Plan B is and how they are expected to deliver it and ensure that all pupils have access to learning should a school be required to close, or reduce pupil intake in response to local conditions.
We continue to be concerned for our members who are most at risk and ask the Government to reconsider the use of PPE to protect them and reduce the expected rise in infections.
- For the latest news on the outbreak, the latest government guidance, and Voice statements and comment (Updated daily, Monday - Friday)
- Follow Voice on Facebook and Twitter (@Voicetheunion, @VoiceCymru, @VoiceScotland) for news, shared content and resources.
- Voice: Statement on face coverings in schools in England (28 July 2020)
- COVID-19 - Survey Results: Covid-19 has impacted every aspect of our lives. Twelve months ago, no-one could have foreseen a situation where schools and businesses were unilaterally shut down, almost overnight. As ever, Voice members across the UK have risen to the challenge and have continued to meet the needs of learners, both in school and at home wherever possible. (15 July 2020)
- COVID-19 - Staying safe at work: This new booklet is to help employers, employees and the self-employed understand how to work safely during the COVID-19 pandemic. (17 June 2020)
- Webinar: Safety at Work: How Unions Can Help (June 2020)
- FAQs about how this outbreak may affect you (updated 20 July 2020)
- Wales: Voice Cymru comments on September plans and extra (9 July 2020)
- England: Voice comments on Autumn term plans (2 July 2020)
- Voice welcomes delay to reception baseline assessment (25 June 2020)
- Government must act now to save childcare sector (25 June 2020)
- Wales: Minister's response deeply disappointing (24 June 2020)
- Voice Cymru campaigns to overturn childcare decision (23 June 2020)
- Statement on re-opening of schools in Scotland (23 June 2020)
- Voice gives cautious welcome to catch-up scheme in England but disappointed by exclusion of early years and post-16 (19 June 2020)
- Voice welcomes plans for schools and childcare in Northern Ireland (19 June 2020)
- The General Secretary’s letter to the Minister for Education about the legalities and funding of the extension of the summer term in Wales (pdf) (17 June 2020)
- Voice Scotland comments on guidance on reopening early learning and childcare services (15 June 2020)
- Voice welcomes news of Government’s primary school plan change. (9 June 2020)
- Voice Cymru comments on statement by Kirsty Williams/details of proposals (3 June 2020)
- Professional Learning and Wellbeing Support for members in Scotland (27 May 2020)
- The General Secretary's blog on the SAGE evidence (27 May 2020)
- Voice welcomes publication of scientific evidence and calls for early years guidance. (22 May 2020)
- Reopening schools, early learning and childcare provision in Scotland (21 May 2020)
- Voice welcomes acknowledgement of local approach to wider opening of schools (20 May 2020)
- Update on COVID-19 and video message from the General Secretary (19 May 2020)
- Important update for members about COVID-19 (14 May 2020)
- What Voice would like to see before schools and nurseries reopen (5 May 2020)
- Rights for members with absence relating to Coronavirus / Covid-19
- Coronavirus: Proposed Protection for Self-Employed and Freelancers
- Letter to Early Years employers choosing to stay open
- Letter template to employer for members with health conditions and isolating
- For free online resources and activities
- COVID-19 Risk Assessment Checklist
Please check back frequently for updates.